SEO work can keep you really busy. Between creating new and engaging content for Google to munch on, optimizing your on-page data, and appealing to others for those all-important quality links, SEO can be a full-time job.
Today, we have rounded up a few handy tools to help you wage the battle, and maybe even find a little free time.
1. Smart SEO
Smart SEO is a great option for people who are new to the world of SEO, it offers a the ability to edit a broad range SEO-related elements from the front end of the site, which is terrific if you have someone doing SEO work for you and do not want to grant them Super User access to your site’s backend.
A site map is vital for search engine optimization. Xmap is an easy-to-use site map generator that allows Joomla admins to quickly and easily create a map based on the structure of their website’s menu. Xmap features include:
* Ability to create multiple sitemaps.
* XML sitemaps for Google, Yahoo, Bing and others.
* Cache system allows ultra-fast sitemap generation for high traffic sites.
* Easily exclude menu items from the site map.
* Ability to compress the XML sitemap
Maintaining a Joomla website is like maintaining a store front. It has to look clean and easy for customers (Users) to shop around and find what they want. You need to have something interesting every time so that people will come back to check out your new stuff. You might want to change your banners every now and then.
Your website is your silent online marketer. It does all the talking for you, if it is well equipped. Here are few items that have to be checked at the minimum to keep your website looking good and performing at its best.
Domain Name: Make sure you have marked in more than one place when your domain name would expire. Set reminders, it is bare minimum. Make sure you do not set your reminders to snooze. You definitely have to have all of your domain names renewed to make sure your competitors do not grab the name from you. Make sure the email address registered for the domain name is checked regularly. Our advice is to have it set-up as a group email account which will have multiple recipients.
Joomla has released Joomla 2.5.13 which is a maintenance release. This release does not include security updates. In the new release, there are, however, 25 tracked issues that have been addressed. Most of these issues were fixed and tested during the Pizza, Bugs and Fun session on July 12th, 2013. The Joomla Geeks team was proud to participate, at the platinum level, in the PBF event. If you would like your existing Joomla 2.5 site upgraded to the new Joomla 2.5.13 version, please get in touch with us.
There are lot of advantages to having a CMS website. CMS websites account for 32.2% of all websites. That is a pretty big share. Some of the advantages of using a CMS for your website include:
- End-users can manage the website: Gone are the days when you have to call your developer to make a content change or to add a new menu to your site. With CMS it is absolutely easy to manage your website.
- Security: With a CMS, security is built-in. There is a community of CMS developers who are watching your back. When new vulnerabilities are spotted, you can download a security patch to keep your site secure.
- WYSIWYG editor: Most Content Management Systems feature a built in WYSIWYG editor; this means that is no longer necessary to have someone with HTML/CSS expertise make style changes to your site content.
- Extensions: When you use a CMS, you are not limited to using only the out-of-the-box features that come with the CMS platform core. There are a wide variety of ready-made extensions available that can add new features, enhance existing features, and customize the way that a site looks, feels, and functions. Extensions for most common, and some not-so-common, functionalities are readily available, and if there is not an extension that suites your needs; one can be custom developed for you.
Time to upgrade your website?
If you are going to start a new website then we advise that you start use the latest version unless you have a specific reason for not to do so. The latest version can be downloaded from the Joomla download site. If you are running an older version of Joomla like Joomla 1.5.x or Joomla 1.6 or Joomla 1.7 then it’s time to upgrade to the latest version if you experience any problems. You can read more about the Joomla version history in our previous blog posting.
If your current website is working well in Joomla 1.5 or Joomla 1.7 then you need not upgrade the site to the latest Joomla 2.5 version. The Joomla version 1.5 and 1.7 are supported till April 24th 2012 and February 24th 2012 respectively. But all the new development like security fix, enhancements and 3rd party extension development effort will be done for Joomla 2.5 version only. Many 3rd party Joomla extension providers are upgrading their component for supporting the latest 2.5 version release. But few components that are very specific for your website may not be available for Joomla 2.5 – for these reasons you can still use Joomla 1.5 and can upgrade your website to Joomla 1.5 after the core component for your website is realised for 2.5. This is the reason why we still advise few clients to still use Joomla 1.5. As an example, though the e-commerce extension (virtuemart) has released a version that could support Joomla 2.5 we see that many additional add-on like shipping, payment gateway are still not available for Joomla 2.5. Joomla 2.5.2 is release couple of days back on March 5th 2012 which is a security release and the team is to continue their work to provide regular updates.