Blogs from the team
What’s New in Joomla 16
May 7, 2012 admin
Joomla 1.6 is the next generation of Joomla, the most popular Open Source Content Management System in the world. The broad goals of Joomla 1.6 are to:
- Implement an expanded access control system;
- implement a nested categories solution;
- and standardise the way extensions are built using the MVC framework.
- New Access Control System – Allows site administrators control over who can view and manage content.
- Unlimited Depth Organizational Model – Gives site administrators and content creators user-defined category levels that allow for the creation of a category tree with as many or as few levels for organizing articles and other content as needed.
- One-Click Extension Updates – Allows users to keep sites secure and controlled by simplifying the process of updating extensions.
- Semantic XHTML Layouts – Provides a better baseline for content presentation.
There is an alpha release. It is intended to be a developer/hobbyist preview and is not intended to be used on a production web site. New improvements/features since alpha 1 include:
- ACL: access management for global permissions as well as content item specific permissions, variable usergroups, users member of more than one usergroup, permissions are inherited, really fast
- Extendable user profile, profile view in frontend, extendable user parameters
- Tableless com_content layouts
- Improved com_content modules (mod_articles_archive, mod_articles_latest, mod_articles_popular)
- Article linker plugin for editors
- New frontend template (atomic)
- New backend template (bluestork)
- New uploader for media manager
What’s next? After alpha 2, the Joomla community can expect a beta release. There are no intentions for a 3rd alpha release. You can also expect to see the following future improvements:
- Commenting solution is going to be added
- Additional DB drivers
- Lots of small performance/UI/code improvements